With my mom’s birthday today and Mother’s Day on Sunday I’ve been contemplating the profound love of a mother.
I’ve come to realize that when my mom “loved” me, it was when she looked at me and saw her own reflection. I was expected to either be perfect or a perfect reflection of her.
My boys understand that even if they make choices that harm themselves or cause me distress, my love for them remains unwavering. They must be granted the autonomy to make decisions independently. If they cannot make decisions without my guidance, then I have failed in my role as a parent. I deeply wish I had experienced the same level of freedom. I am incredibly grateful that God has bestowed upon us the gift of free will. Love based on external achievements rather than our inherent qualities is hollow. The greatest freedom we possess is the ability to choose who we love.


No comments:
Post a Comment